Sunday, November 20, 2016

Leader

Character changes and develops by time, its not formed in early stages of our life, other people, environment or special events might help in shaping our character and how we perceive things. Aside from the way I were raised, the environment I belong to and the inheritable traits I received from my parents, I met one person in the last year of my undergraduate studies, who I believe changed the way I think and the way I perceive things.
He is a professor at my university and used to be my instructor for network security module. Unlike other instructors, you can feel his power in convincing and his ability to guide without orders. His style in teaching was not like any other I have ever experienced; it was neither spoon-feeding style which other instructor’s use, nor explaining theories and methodologies. At the beginning of the lecture, he used to write down the subject of that lecture and which chapters to read from the book. After that he asks one of the students a question that is not related to the subject, a question like “what is the worst thing that happened to you?” then he starts discussing the case that student presented, although the question has no relation with the lecture subject, by the end of that class he explains the subject through that story. This style is unique; we never felt bored in his class, he was able to attract the whole class to be interested in the lecture. How is he a leader? Because of his teaching style, we sensed how much educated and knowledgeable he was, after each class we used to sit with him and ask about books to read to become as conversant as he was. His style motivated us not only to concentrate in the lecture and read the notes, but also to read in other fields like phycology and sociology, because that’s how he used to perceive our stories into network security subject.
Every single student used to adore him, even who used to get bad grades, his charismatic personality, and ability to affect others in a good way made him unique as an instructor and a person. I believe he will keep this as long as he keeps the same style, he used to be our mentor, I used to refer to him in any problem I used to face, whether its related to the university or not. Because I trust him, till now, I consult him before taking a major step in my life, whenever I get an offer or any opportunity I request his advise because I believe in the knowledge and his opinion.

Reference:
Buchanan, David A., & Huczynski, Andrzeg A. (2010). Organizational Behaviour. Prentice Hall
Caldwell, C. et al., (2008), ‘Ethical Stewardship – Implications for Leadership and Trust’, Journal of Business Ethics, V 78, Issue 1, pp. 153-164, Springer Netherlands, Issn: 0167-4544, Doi: 10.1007/s10551-006-9320-1
Url: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10551-006-9320-1, SpringerLink, [Online]. (Accessed 4 June 2011)

Tansley, C. & Newell, S., (2007) ‘Project social capital, leadership and trust: A study of human resource information systems development’, Journal of Managerial Psychology, Vol. 22 Iss: 4, pp.350 – 368, doi: 10.1108/02683940710745932, Emerald, [Online]. (Accessed 4 June 2011)




No comments:

Post a Comment