Sunday, November 20, 2016

Lessons Learned

Learning is one of the most essential mental functions, we learn from our experience; in school usually we learn then we test our knowledge with exams, in life it’s different, we learn from situations and sometimes from our own mistakes. We acquire diverse types of knowledge, which lead to the development of new capabilities and improvement of current ones, change in behavior, values or understanding.

When I joined my current employer, I used to work day and night; I used to wear multiple hats, it helped me to learn how to work under pressure in addition to the technical knowledge that I have acquired. Like every organization, at the end of each year w do performance appraisal, to evaluate the deliverables against objectives, unfortunately I was evaluated as “I did my job”, although for me I knew I did a lot more than only my job and I believed that the management didn’t appreciate my work, I decided to work less (stick to working hours) and do what I am supposed to do based on my job description. After a couple of days doing so, a college of mine called me to his office and explained to me that the decision was done, and my attitude will not fix it but it will make it worse, he said a sentences that I will never forget, “You were evaluated by the head of the department that you did your job only for one of two reasons, either you really did your job and your self evaluation is not accurate, or your manager didn’t notice your extra efforts and you should work on that as this is also your fault”. The feedback I got from this colleague made me change the way I think till this day, and that loosing a battle doesn’t mean that the war is over, my reaction changed, I continued working in the same rhyme (hard working, dedication, wearing multiple hats, and so forth) and in addition to that I started to market my work, I learned that I have to improve my communication skills to grow, and technical knowledge only is not the key for success. After that, for two consecutive years my management gave me the highest evaluation in the department, and it was only me who got it in the entire department.

To develop a training method, individuals should be open to feedback from others, “we cannot learn without feedback” (Buchanan & Huczynski, 2010). Feedback from colleagues or managers will enlighten the individual to reassess his behavior. “Both behaviorists ad cognitive psychologists agree that experience affects behavior” (Buchanan & Huczynski, 2010). Our first reaction should be well thought about and consider the consequences of our behaviors on the long run. Never give up, losing a battle doesn’t mean that we lost the war, on the contrary, it should motivate us to work harder and improve our behavior.


Reference:

Adrian Carr, (1997) "The learning organization: New lessons/thinking for the management of change and management development?", Journal of Management Development, Vol. 16 Iss: 4, pp.224 - 231, [Online], Available from: http://www.emeraldinsight.com.ezproxy.liv.ac.uk/journals.htm?articleid=880266&show=abstract
(Accessed on 14 May 2011)



Buchanan, David A., & Huczynski, Andrzeg A. (2010). Organizational Behaviour. Prentice Hall.

Paul Lyons, (2008) "Training for template creation: a performance improvement method", Journal of European Industrial Training, Vol. 32 Iss: 6, pp.472 – 489, [Online], Available from: http://www.emeraldinsight.com.ezproxy.liv.ac.uk/journals.htm?articleid=1736706&show=abstract
(Accessed on 14 May 2011)


No comments:

Post a Comment